Game Design with Kodu
On March 1st 2010, our free five week Kodu course begins, and it’s open to everyone that’s interesting in building on their Kodu skills!
The course will consist of live meetings, videos, readings and tasks.
Week 1 Getting Started with Kodu – Skills and game design
- We’ll introduce the concept of an informal design process
- We explore Kodu Game Lab, and what it can be used for
- We’ll conduct an overview of basic programming structures and navigation
Week 2 Rapid Prototyping
- A more formal approach to game design is introduced
- We look at ideas, iterative process, brainstorming, identifying risks and more!
Week 3 Game Mechanics – designing challenge and engagement
- An exploration of how to develop game objectives and rules, actions and secrets!
Week 4 The Game Experience – Theme and Story
- We look at the Kodu game space
- We look more closely at the Kodu characters and worlds
- We’ll discuss building atmosphere in your Kodu games
- We’ll also look at playtesting your Kodu games, and reward systems
Week 5 Pushing the Boundaries – puzzles and probability
- We’ll explore Skills vs. Chance, Head vs. Hands and Cooperation in Kodu games
To participate in the course, you’ll need to be a Kodu Member (it’s easy register, and all resources on PlanetKodu are free!).
Once you’ve registered, simply click on the link at the bottom of the contents menu on the right.